Wednesday…want to know a few facts about this day?
Well, here they are anyway!:
1. Wednesday is named after Woden, the most important God in the German pantheon, often identified with the Norse God Odin.
2. Woden and Odin are also associated with the Roman god Mercury, which is why the French call Wednesday Mercredi and the Spanish Miercoles.
3. The Japanese for Wednesday translates as ‘Water day’ as the planet Mercury was known as the ‘water star’.
4. In German, Wednesday (Mittwoch) is the only day of the week not ending in ‘tag’ (day).
5. According to research by a tanning company, women look oldest at 3.30pm on Wednesdays.
6. The Wednesday before Easter is known as ‘Spy Wednesday’ referring to Judas’s betrayal of Jesus.
7. The daughter in the Addams Family is called Wednesday Addams.
8. Charles Addams said he chose the name because “Wednesday’s child is full of woe”.
9. Sheffield Wednesday began as The Wednesday Cricket Club in 1820. The name came from the day of the week when they played their matches.
10. A recent survey in the US reported that bosses are most receptive to requests on a Wednesday.
Interesting facts don’t you think? Especially number 5 that I highlighted. But the last one is probably the one I would hope you would pay most attention to. I have heard this somewhere before and always tried to approach my bosses over the years on a Wednesday.
Todays Thoughts: Glass half empty or glass half full? That’s how to look at a Wednesday. Go at it with the attitude that you are right in the middle of your week and you can still accomplish a lot. Don’t start dragging because it’s only half over…start motivating because it’s getting close to the finish line!